NEW EBIKE VS. CONVERSION KIT
PRO'S AND CON'S
- Higher initial upfront cost. Prices for a good quality starter eBike start at $2,800 up to $6500+.
- Comes partially assembed if purchased OnLine, or fully assembled if purchased from a bicycle shop.
- Typical 1 year warranty of the bicycle and 2-3 years on the battery.
- Future upgrades limited and can be very costly. Typical systems use proprietary batteries, displays and components locked in by the manufacturer.
- You are stuck with the frame and components.
- Must be serviced by a dealer representing that specific brand. Most bike shops will only service the brands they sell. Few bike shops will service bikes purchase online.
- Lower upfront cost and often gets you a higher quality bicycle than an entry level eBike (better components, more powerful motor and larger battery.
- Can be done as a DIY project or fully installed by e-CycleVictoria.
- 1 year warranty on motor, battery and installation
- Upgrades much easier and lower cost supported by a large global ecosystem of suppliers of batteries, displays, chainrings and other components.
- System can be moved to another bicycle and reused.
- Bicycle can be serviced by any bike mechanic.
- If purchased online, must be returned for service unless local arrangements can be made.